LOOK OUT: A goal mouth scramble in Ballandean's win over Tenterfield men on Saturday afternoon.
LOOK OUT: A goal mouth scramble in Ballandean's win over Tenterfield men on Saturday afternoon. Contributed

A weekend of 7-goal thrillers

FOOTBALL: Two seven goal thrillers in the men's grade highlighted a busy weekend, full of exciting clashes.

Carlton hosted Stanthorpe United on Saturday at the C.F White grounds, with the Bears looking likely to pull off the upset of the round in the day-ending men's fixture.

The hosts were leading United 2-nil after little more than 20 minutes. Coach Steve McEvoy labelled his side's first half 'the worst of any side he'd coached in 20 years”.

McEvoy's half-time words obviously shook his player's, as they pulled one back not long into the second stanza.

Their hard work was undone when Carlton were awarded a penalty - ably converted by Jacob Steele.

But the visitors showed character and battled their way back. They grabbed a second, an equaliser and went into the final 10 minutes looking like snatching a miraculous win.

Both sides were out on their feet, but buoyed by their comeback, United nicked a fourth and remain on top of the ladder going into the final regular fixture of the season.

Earlier in the day and Carlton's fillies got the hosts' day off to a good start with a 3-1 win. Alexandra Giammetti and Bella Sutton were stand outs.

Second played third in junior colts and it was the Bears who went to the half-time break with a one goal advantage. Some stellar defensive performances made life difficult for both attacks, leading to a 1-nil final result.

Senior colts proved to be an edge of the seat thriller.

Ned O'Riely edged Carlton ahead and Dante Giammetti was solid in the back line, thwarting any United attack.

But just as the men would do later in the day, United's youngsters refused to give up and were rewarded with an equalising goal with the literal last kick of the game.

United's ladies grabbed three much needed points in a win that should secure them finals football.

Down the road and it was a good day for Ballandean against Tenterfield.

The Reds fillies had a comfortable win over United in a catch-up game leading into the weekend.

Tenterfield's junior colts started Saturday well for the visitors by securing a 3-1 away win. Kobe Johnston and Luke Newman shone for the Thunder, while goal scorer Harry Wren and Emilie Spencer put in solid efforts for Ballandean.

A very different tie in senior colts as Ballandean cruised to a win against an undermanned Tenterfield outfit. Adam Raccannello and Zephyr Horan starred for the reds.

Despite starting with 10 players and going down to nine, Ballandean's women continued their unbeaten run.

Sarah Day scored the solitary goal of the opening half. The home side capitalised on Tenterfield's tired legs in the second half to add to the scoreline through Richelle Reardon and Sarah Day again.

Ballandean men had little to fuss about as they hit double digits against their southern cousins. With six on the board in the first half, they had little to concern themselves with in the second.

The season's first Sunday games proved popular with the punters, with a strong crowd rolling up to watch Inter take on City.

No fillies was played. Competition leaders City were out to test Inter in junior colts. The visitors went to the break 3-nil up. Darcy Daddow pulled one back for Club at the start of the second half but it wasn't enough as City claimed the spoils with a 5-1 win.

City senior Colts again proved too strong for the hosts with a 2-nil victory.

The women gave Inter fans something to cheer about, beating their fancied opponents 1-nil. Kirstie McCosker got her name on the score board and led her team to an important win.

The concluding game of the weekend looked like it was done and dusted after the opening half hour. City looked comfortable, capital- ising on their positive play with three memorable goals.

But nobody told Inter, who came out in the second half determined. It worked, as they found their way back into the game with a goal to Jordan Lanza.

City grabbed a fourth but Inter kept pressing. They were rewarded with a second and then a third, through the boot of Lanza.

Despite having opport- unities to record a fourth goal and an unlikely come- back, Inter ran out of luck.

City clung on to all three points and will hold out hope of returning to the top of the ladder next weekend.