Seibold shuts down coaching ‘circus’ talk
AN irate Anthony Seibold has labelled speculation around his future as South Sydney coach a "circus" after his side's loss to Brisbane.
The first-year NRL coach had been linked to the Broncos job with veteran Wayne Bennett's future at the club under scrutiny while on Thursday Michael Maguire - the man he replaced at South Sydney - was also being touted for the job.
Seibold went on the offensive following the Rabbitohs' 38-18 loss on Thursday night, delivering an unprompted statement of sorts in an effort to snuff out the chatter.
"It's been a circus the last week in regards to speculation around my coaching career and individually I'm really disappointed I've been really open with the media," he said.
"Some of the things being said in the media are just not true. I'm contracted to the Rabbitohs for the next 15 months."
If Seibold was in a bad mood pre-game it wouldn't have improve after kick-off as his men threw up an error-laden first 20 minutes that saw them down 18-0.
Souths did recover to 18-18 before Corey Oates scored his third try and David Fifita barged over to seal a much-needed win for the hosts.
The Rabbitohs missed a chance to briefly go the outright top of the NRL ladder while Brisbane consolidated their spot in the top eight.
Souths will sweat on the return of Greg Inglis next week after Seibold admitted they were lacking a touch of class without him in the side.
Inglis (thumb), Alex Johnson (hamstring), Robert Jennings (hamstring) and Campbell Graham (wrist) were all missing from the Suncorp Stadium clash. Inglis and Graham are both a chance of returning next week.
"We lacked effort tonight, individually and collectively," Seibold said. "When you're down a little bit on quality we need to win those effort battles and I don't think we did that tonight.
"It's a big lesson for those young guys who played tonight for us."